Open Auditions: "Prescription for Murder" - July 22nd
“Prescription for Murder” by Norman Robbins, directed by Jaynie Roberts. Produced by special arrangement with Samuel French.
Magenta Theater’s 60th mainstage production will be presented October 6-21, 2017.
Auditions for the 7 roles and understudies will be held July 22nd at 2pm at the theater. All adult actors will be considered – ages are flexible.
English accents will be used.
Barbara Forth, an attractive woman in her 30s
Dorothy Livingstone, cheery middle-aged woman, helps around the Forth’s house
Mary Haigh, a fit and healthy-looking woman in her 60s
Julia Moore, Richard’s ex-girlfriend, about 45, expensively dressed
Dr Richard Forth, Barbara’s husband, mid 50s
Allan Haigh, Mary’s husband, 60s, also fit and healthy-looking
Eric Dawson, attractive computer salesman, smartly dressed, in his 40s
In the seemingly quiet town of Bere Knighton there is never a dull moment for Dr Richard Forth. Not only does he have a hectic work schedule and an awkward friendship with his ex-girlfriend, but his wife, Barbara, is constantly ill and nobody knows what is wrong with her. When Eric Dawson, a stranger, claims to have known Richard’s second fiancée – a woman Richard claims does not exist – Barbara’s health worsens and she isn’t the only one. With bad luck spreading almost as quickly as bad news, it seems somebody is out to kill Barbara, and anyone else who gets in their way.
The action takes place in the living room of the Forths’ house in Bere Knighton, north Devon, modern day.
Performances are: October 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 18 (TBD), 19, 20 at 7:30pm 2017
And October 14 and 21 at 2pm
Rehearsals are: August 15, 17, 19, 22, 24, 26, 29, 31
Sept 7, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Oct 2, 4, 5, 11 – refresher.
6:30-9:30 evenings, and Saturdays 10-4 unless otherwise noted
This is a community theater production. All positions are volunteer. No pay.
Headshot required, theater resume preferred. No appointments necessary. Cold readings from the script. No monologues required.
What does an understudy do? What are the requirements?
· Understudies will attend all blocking rehearsals for their character.
· They will be at rehearsals where the overstudy has a PRE-ARRANGED absence. If the overstudy falls very, very ill he/she will contact the understudy to arrange for the understudy to attend rehearsal.
· The OVERSTUDY must contact the understudy to get any blocking changes or notes. (To emphasise, this is the overstudy's responsibility.) The OVERSTUDY must also contact their understudy if they have received any blocking changes or notes at rehearsals where the understudy is not present.
· The understudy should be prepared enough to go onstage in the event the overstudy cannot.
· Understudies are encouraged to participate on the backstage crew.
· The understudy must never be used for purposes other than stated above by the overstudy. If an overstudy abuses this policy, they are subject to losing their role to the understudy.
Have understudies ever performed? DEFINITELY!!!
For additional information contact firstname.lastname@example.org